Sunday 13 September 2009

Key Learning Points from H802

My first year of the MA ODE programme looked at the use of technology in the learning environment.

In the final Examinable Component, I was challenged to describe the comparative strengths of using technology to enable learning, versus the medium of Print.

I focused on three aspects of learning; transmission of complex information, Interaction with Learning Material, Interaction with Learning Community. The adoption of technology as an enabler of learning becomes more valuable as interactivity (many to many) that is provided by electronic media is demanded.

The theoretical approaches that emerged as most relevant for the professional and managerial population that I serve are:
  • Social Constructivism as articulated by Vygotsky and others
  • Cognitive apprenticeship as articulated by Brown, Collins and Duguid
  • Situated Learning as articulated by Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger (First published 1991).
  • Minimalism: Boyle (1997) describes the work of Carroll (1990)
As I look ahead at H808, it would be most helpful if I could use this programme to intensify my understanding of the technologies and methodologies that will increase my competence as an E-learning Professional.
My own advice to myself is to use my forthcoming Distance Learning Programme to expose the learning processes of my professional learners using the minimum amount of 'technology', but to use the experience of observing how the learning actually happens to consider ways of scaffolding learners, and to improve the learning environment for future groups. I intend to discover whether it will be possible to substitute asynchronous communication for the combition of synchronous and asynchronous which will be used in the first version.
I will also be keen to understand what further support material and/or activities will be of use to learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment