Tuesday 10 November 2009

Reflection and Emotion

Since re-joining masters level studies in September, I have been reminded of the turbulence and emotion that accompanies the incorporation of new learning into my own thinking process. The period in which new input is being received, either by reading or through conversations of various kinds feels very stressful. Why would that be so? I suppose my existing 'certainties' have been reached over a significant period of time, and have been re-enforced by experience, which embeds them deeply into my sense of what is true. New information either fits in there, in which case, I have to find a way to make the links, or forces me to reconsider and revise my point of view. In a way, both of these scenarios is uncomfortable, which may account for the emotional reaction.. I think the worst part of the process is the part when the outcome feels uncertain. Just how does this fit? Have I been wrong in the past? Where does the new thought connect?
I am wondering whether my mistake is to keep ploughing on with trying to make the links? My normal way of working is to assume that if I work hard and stay focused, I will find the answer. But Anne Miller describes a mental process (in innovation) which is called hypnagogic creativity.

"It's important not to be always "on", because the creative process needs to alternate periods when you are energetically gathering information or thinking analytically with periods of quieter reflection to incubate ideas and listen to your intuition." (p52)

My recollection of Moon's description of the reflective process had a period in which the new ideas were absorbed. I am beginning to feel that it is important that I develop personal strategies for coping with this emotional period.

One strategy, of course,would simply be to take a break when I reach overflow point and deliberately do something that takes my mind off the subject under consideration.
A second idea is to engage in conversation with others who can add perspective to my thinking. One of two of my work colleagues are especially helpful in this regard, as they are well aware of my existing points of view and can counter them well.
The OU is also a place to see solace, either with tutor group colleagues, or possibly in the public areas of H808?
Maybe there are others?


Miller, A., (2009) How to get your ideas adopted (and change the world), Marshall Cavendish Ltd,. London

No comments:

Post a Comment