Tuesday 20 October 2009

H808 E-Portfolio: Web Tutorial 2 Review

The second web tutorial in our series of four took place on 19th October. Students had been assigned pre-work of studying five sections of the Practitioners Guide describing the Future Shape of the Winner organisation model and prepared a five minute input to describe the features that they judge to be unique.

This exercise allowed us to judge their early grasp of the model and also to get a sense of their presentational capabilities, albeit in the limiting arena of a teleconference.

We audio recorded this conference, which provided my colleague and I with the opportunity to review the inputs of students, and make a more considered assessment of progress.

Two had clearly developed an excellent understanding of the model and were able to relate the model to their existing mental models around organisations. Four showed good understanding being able to articulate the model well, and two, both native Spanish speakers were more limited in their grasp.

In one case, this may be due to the student's poor spoken english; this student's presentation showed signs of his questioning whether the model can truly be useful in his practice. In the coming weeks, I must monitor the situation with both students, to decide whether additional learning support is required.

Today's review will support my PDP in two areas; Assessment and Awareness of Students. In carrying the review out with my colleague, I was also improving our collaboration on e-learning.

Memo: Extracts from PDP Goals which are being addressed in this activity
This is the first programme that we have developed in this field. I will work with colleagues, and research best academic practice to establish the criteria against which we will judge the performance of our learners.


I will engage my colleagues in the assessment process, which will give me a benchmark to judge my own assessment competences.

1 comment:

  1. Footnote to this blog post. On Friday 23rd October, the student about whom I had most concerns contacted me to inform me that he had listened to the speeches made by other students, and had revisited the written course material. He reported that his understanding of the model is much better now, and that he is beginning to see how it can help him in his business. He also included his preparation for the next Tutorial session, which is a great deal more thorough than his preparation for the last one. This seems like very promising progress - it will be interesting to see how the next session works out for this student.

    ReplyDelete