Friday 2 October 2009

Reflecting on Reflection

Activity 2.4, in which I read several pieces on the subject of reflection in learning has given me pause for thought in my H808 studies.

In H808, we are required to reflect on our own personal development, and it occurs to me that devoting some time to examining my approach to reflection would be a valuable activity that would benefit from the rigour of the H808 framework.

There is no doubt that in my life, I have a bias for action. I am someone who always likes to press for action when a problem or opportunity arises, and I try to create that kind of an environment in all the circles in which I operate.

When applied to my professional life, the kinds of programmes that I am engaged to organise and run by my business clients are invariably attempting to solve 'people' problems, for example situations where managers are failing to show leadership, situations where employees are not providing the right level of customer service or situations where groups are not operating as a team. I have some long held beliefs about not only the kind of reflection that is needed in such situations, but also how to set up learning experiences that make people want to stop and think about their behaviour. However, the literature I have read recently on reflection has made me question whether my tacit assumptions are overdue a spring clean! In reading the literature, it struck me that my practicing theory may be missing an important element, namely I am assuming that when the period of reflection is set up that my learners will know how to reflect. But there may be more asssumptions that require challenging.

So, my latest thinking on my H808 e-portfolio study is that I reflect on my professional practice in providing learners with the support they need for reflection. This, in turn, may require me to revise other aspects of the way I set up and support learning programmes. The H808 Skills Framework looks a good model in which to do this reflection. 

What is quite exciting about this area of study is that it spills over into a voluntary activity in which I am involved. For many years, I have been involved in a help line for people who are feeling suicidal or despairing. Whilst a proportion of these callers have mental conditions which have no hope of cure, a good proportion of callers find themselves in a depairing frame of mind because of combinations of unfortunate circumstances. If I can improve my understanding of how to engender quality reflection in my learners, there may be the chance for me to do a better job of helping these callers make better progress with dealing with some of these challenges.

All in all, outcomes that will improve my professional skills on many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment