Saturday 17 October 2009

Structure for my H808 E-Portfolio

Structure for H808 E-Portfolio: Madeleine McGrath

H808 is designed to help students to develop their understanding of what it means to be an e-learning professional in a period in which this medium is in its relative infancy. A major element of the module is for students to create an e-portfolio as a record of their learning and development during H808. This document outlines how I intend to organise my e-portfolio artifacts in order to meet that course objective.

Structure for Storing Artifacts
The H808 Course Guide provides us with a Personal and Professional Development Template, and we have also been required (activity 3 part 2) to conduct a Needs Analysis of the areas in which we require development. These two frameworks will guide the structure of the collection of my e-portfolio artifacts.

The tagging structure I will use to label artifacts will be as follows:

Areas of Practice
H808EP Skills
H808EP Reflection
H808EP Critique
H808EP Proactivity

Competencies
H808EP Practice
H808EP Communication
H808EP Technology
H808EP Research

These tags may combine both areas of practice and competencies in the following format (H808EP Skills/Practice).

I plan to use the same tagging structure in 2 e-portfolio repositories. The OU's My Stuff Repository will be used to collect artifacts related to the H808 learning, and Google Apps will be used for artifacts relating to my Work Based learning. This division is to enable me to continue to use an e-portfolio after my OU incumbency, assuming that the experience of using one proves valuable in the long term.

Connecting PDP with H808 Personal and Professional Development Template (PPDT)
My PDP has highlighted 8 meta skill categories (Prefixed below with MS) and 17 individual skills (Prefixed below with S) that will benefit from attention during H808 and beyond. Some of these fall into more than one area of competency.

Here is how they can be plotted against the PPDT areas of competency:

Practice
MS 1a-c. Awareness of students and their learning needs
MS 5a-c Student assessment
S 4a Transform teaching material for the online environment
MS 6a Steps taken to improve my teaching

Communication
MS 2a-c Creating the right online atmosphere
MS 3a Generating 'stickability" (Learner persistence)
S 4d Developing an online community
MS 8a Collaboration with teaching colleagues

Technology
MS 3a Generating 'stickability' (Learner persistence)
MS 4 a-d Ability to use IT appropriately

Research
MS 6a Steps taken to improve my teaching
MS 7 Organisation and record keeping

Each area of competency may have evidence of skills, reflection, critique and/or proactivity development.

Sources of Artifacts
Evidence of my development/performance against the PPDT elements will be drawn from:
  • Forum postings from H808
  • Selected H808 activities
  • Relevant academic research
  • Www sources
  • Previous H80X ECs and TMAs
  • Specially created documents to chronicle relevant aspects of my work based Distance Learning Project
  • Audio and other AV records from my work based DL Project





No comments:

Post a Comment